The Brexit transition period is now complete and the UK is outside the EU Single Market and Customs Union, regardless of the outcome of ongoing EU-UK negotiations.
Alongside the challenges posed by COVID-19, Brexit will have an impact on the tourism sector – from the impact of currency fluctuations on individual tourist decisions, to impacts on the supply chain for the hospitality sector.
For the Irish tourism industry, the UK is a very significant market with more than 3 million British tourists contributing almost €1 billion to the economy in 2019. Recovery from COVID is based on the nearer overseas markets recovering sooner, so the expected drop in business from the UK market may compound and lengthen the time for businesses to recover market share.
Fáilte Ireland is ready to provide support to Irish tourism businesses but there are steps that all tourism businesses should take to minimise any disruption:
- For the latest news in relation to Brexit go to the Government of Ireland website.
- If you source any of your products from the UK, or move them through the UK, you must consider the potential impacts on your Supply Chain and prepare for any new customs and any other regulatory arrangements and the impact they will have on your business.
- Businesses should continue to access and leverage all the Government Guides and Resources available to them.
- Use Fáilte Ireland’s latest research publications and domestic consumer insights to repivot your experience/offering for the domestic market to drive sales and experiences suitable to best-prospect segments including families, couples, friend groups or day visitors.
- Keep up to date with the latest overseas market analysis and international consumer insights with Tourism Ireland’s Research & Reports and any Brexit related travel queries on their GB page.
- Remain competitive, upskill your team and maximise sales opportunities through the wide range of Irish-tourism focused, tailor-made programmes available on Fáilte Ireland’s National Schedule of Tourism Capability Supports.
The full range of online supports suites available, including an online learning portal and employee wellbeing resources, can be found on the Fáilte Ireland Support Hub or just click on the relevant section below.