From 1 January 2021, when the transition period ends, the UK will be outside the EU Single Market and Customs Union, regardless of the outcome of the EU-UK negotiations.
Alongside the challenges posed by COVID-19, Brexit will have an impact on the tourism sector – from the impact of currency fluctuations on individual tourist decisions, to impacts on the supply chain for the hospitality sector.
For the Irish tourism industry, the UK is a very significant market with more than 3 million British tourists contributing almost €1 billion to the economy each year. Recovery from COVID is based on the nearer overseas markets recovering sooner, so the expected drop-in business from the UK market may compound and lengthen the time for businesses to recover market share.
Fáilte Ireland is ready to provide support to Irish tourism businesses but there are steps that all tourism businesses should take to minimise any disruption:
- Review the latest Brexit FAQs, which address how Brexit may affect the travel plans of visitors to Ireland from the UK, the EU and the Rest of the World. Using this information, you should also consider updating your own website to address any queries or concerns your consumers may have.
- If you source any of your products from the UK, or move them through the UK, you must consider the potential impacts on your Supply Chain and prepare for any new customs and any other regulatory arrangements and the impact they will have on your business.
- Businesses should continue to access and leverage all the Government supports available to them including the new Brexit Impact Loan Scheme.
- Use Fáilte Ireland’s latest consumer insights to repivot your experience/offering for the domestic market to drive sales and experiences suitable to best prospect segments including families, couples, friend groups or day visitors.
- Keep up to date with the latest consumer sentiment in international markets with Tourism Ireland’s Covid Research.
- For the latest news in relation to Brexit go to the Government of Ireland website.
The full range of online supports suites available, including an online learning portal and supports for your employee welling being, can be found on the Fáilte Ireland Support Hub or just click on the relevant section below.